The Concord Academy campus lies between Concord’s Main Street and the banks of the Sudbury River, and is a three-minute walk from the center of Concord.
Elizabeth B. Hall Chapel
One of the most illustrative features of the 39-acre campus is the Elizabeth B. Hall Chapel. While Concord Academy is a nondenominational school, the Chapel is considered an emblematic landmark on campus, both physically and spiritually. This nineteenth-century meetinghouse was transported to Concord from Barnstead, New Hampshire in 1956, and was reassembled on campus by members of the CA community. Today, the entire school gathers in the Chapel three mornings a week to hear a senior, or sometimes a faculty member, address the CA community. In 2004, the school expanded the Chapel to accommodate the whole CA community.
2009 graduates Harvey Burrell and Tripp Clemens produced a time-lapse film featuring the expanded Chapel over the course of a year.
Photos by Tripp Clemens ’09, time lapse by Harvey Burrell ’09.
The Main Street Houses
Another iconic feature of campus are the eleven historic, clapboard houses that stand in a row on Main Street. The Main Street houses were built as family homes between 1780 and 1830 and have been restored by CA over the past thirty years to suit their new purposes. Aloian House comprises the admissions and administrative offices; two houses are the homes of the head of school, and the dean of students and community life and dean of faculty; two other houses are faculty residences; and six houses are student houses. Behind these houses are the other school buildings, which encircle the campus green and are within easy walking distance of each other.
Main School Building, Science Center, and Student-Faculty Center
The main school building, including Middle School and South School, houses the J. Josephine Tucker Library, the main computer lab, classrooms, and the Science Center with six large classroom laboratories. Adjoining this facility is the Student-Faculty Center, containing the school’s dining hall on the first floor and an open area for socializing on the second.
Performing Arts Center (P.A.C.)
The hexagonal Performing Arts Center (P.A.C.) contains the theater, a black box room for experimental theatre, as well as soundproof music practice rooms that look out on fields and the Sudbury River. It is the site of student performances in drama, dance, and music. Two mornings a week, the entire school begins the day here with an informal, fifteen minute announcement period.
Math and Arts Center (MAC)
The Math and Arts Center (MAC) a large, gray, clapboard building completed in 1992, provides a spacious, well equipped facility for all of the visual arts. Exhibits of students’ work appear in displays that revolve throughout the year. The MAC is comprised of studios for painting, drawing, printmaking, fibers, ceramics, and sculpture. The facility also includes a photo lab, a media lab for film and video, and a digital imaging lab that is shared with the mathematics department.
Student Health and Athletic Center (SHAC)
Opened in June of 1999, the Student Health and Athletic Center (SHAC) is the school’s indoor athletic facility comprised of an expansive double sided gymnasium including an NCAA volleyball court and an NCAA basketball court; an NCAA wrestling center; four international squash courts; a comprehensive fitness center with extensive aerobic and resistance equipment; locker rooms and team rooms and a classroom; an athletic training and rehabilitation center; and a 2,500 square foot dance and performance studio. Outdoor athletic facilities include six tennis courts and three playing fields.